Spectrum Featured Recipes
TERIYAKI PORK AND ASIAN RICE SALAD
Ingredients for Pork
2- 1½ to 2-inch thick boneless pork cutlets
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1-1/3 cups Panko bread crumbs
Canola oil about ¼ cup or enough to cover bottom of pan
1. Trim off any fat and cut each cutlet in half lengthwise.
2. Pound to ¼ inch thick.
3. In one bowl mix egg with teriyaki sauce and add pork to marinate 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Place Panko in another bowl.
5. Dredge pork in Panko.
6. In large skillet heat oil on medium-high, add pork and cook 3-4 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes more.
ASIAN RICE SALAD
Rice and Veggie Ingredients
4 cups cooked rice, cooled
1 carrot, grated
1- 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 green onions, chopped
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/ 4 cup canola oil
1. Mix rice and veggie ingredients together in large bowl.
2. In small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients except canola oil.
3. Whisk in oil slowly to emulsify.
4. Pour over rice and veggies, and serve with pork.
PAN-FRIED TILAPIA WITH HOME -MADE TARTAR SAUCE AND SLAW
4- Tilapia fillets, 4-5 ounces each
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water
¾ sleeve saltine crackers
Fresh sliced lemon for serving
Tartar sauce ingredients
½ cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sweet relish
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
~Mix together and serve with fish
½ head green cabbage, shredded
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
~Mix with dressing below
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup mayonnaise
1. Pat fish dry with paper towels.
2. Sprinkle with Creole seasoning.
3. In three separate bowls place cornstarch in the first, egg beaten with water in second, and crushed crackers in third.
4. Dip fish on both sides in cornstarch, next egg, then crushed crackers.
5. Lay on rack to set.
6. Heat a thin layer of canola oil in cast iron skillet until it shimmers.
7. Lay each piece of fish in skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
8. Place on paper towels. Serve with slaw and tartar sauce and lemon.
- 8 sugar cones
1 package frozen puff pastry~2 sheets
Egg wash~1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water Coarse sugar
1 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup marshmallow créme Pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pastel colored sugars
1. Cut off a piece of tin foil about 10 inches. Cut in half.
2. Wrap tin foil around ice creame cone.
3. Thaw frozen pastry for 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Unfold and cut into thirds from one of the short sides. just cut along from where using the pastry or pizza cutter.
5. Cut each section into 4 strips for a total of 12 strips.
6. Starting at point of cone, wrap pone strip around, overlapping as you go. Add another strip starting at the point you left off and continue around cone. Add one more strip, for a total of 3 strips for each cone
7. Do the same thing for the remaing 7 horns. Lay on parchment covered baking sheet.
8. Brush each horn with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
9. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Place on rack and let cool. Gently remove cone.
1. Mix shortening, powdered sugar, marshmallow, pinch of salt, and vanilla in mixer bowl beat at high speed for 10 minutes.
2. Spoon filling into pastry bag with large star tip and pipe into cooled horns.
3.. Sprinkle on colored sugar if desired.
By Debra Dooley
ASPARAGUS AND TOMATO PASTA SALAD
- 12 ounce box Tri-color Rotini Pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- ½ each yellow and orange bell peppers
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring large pot of water to boil.
2. Add pasta and cook 5 minutes
3. Rinse pasta and asparagus
with cold water; set aside.
4. Whisk together garlic, oregano,
mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Slowly whisk in oil to emulsify.
6. In large bowl, place pasta mixture,
bell peppers, tomatoes and cheese.
7. Add oil mixture and toss gently.
8. Top with Parmesan cheese and
9. Cover and refrigerate at least
10. Serve with fresh ground pepper.
BLACK TOPS – from my Grandmother (Updated for “heart healthy”)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) 1 cup flour (whole wheat for heart healthy)
½ cup white sugar 1 cup “old fashioned” oats (quick oats OK)
½ cup brown sugar (dark preferred)
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla (or more to taste)
1 pkg (12 oz) chocolate chips (dark chocolate for heart healthy)
Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Mix in flour and oats. Spread on greased (olive oil spray for heart healthy) 9 x 13 rectangular pan. Bake 30 min at 350° (for glass: try 22-25 min’s @350° or 30 min’s @325°). When done, take pan out of oven, and pour chocolate chips on top immediately. As they melt, spread evenly. For heart healthy: add nuts. It takes a long time to set the chocolate. Overnight will do it, or place in fridge until it sets. Cut with sharp knife to avoid breaking, or cut right before set.
George Pitts - firstname.lastname@example.org