Crust: Store bought Pie crust
- 2 1/2 cups chopped red rhubarb, fresh or frozen
- 2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries (in larger pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
Crust Prep: Line the 8in/9in pie pan and set aside and preheat oven to 425 degrees
Filling Preparation: Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, zest and juice of lemon, dash of cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well in a large bowl and pour out into crust. Dot the top of the filling with the butter (its ok to use more than just 3 tablespoons if you are a butter fiend). Place the other piece of dough over the filling. Crimp to seal edges. Collar with foil and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling starts bubbling.
My notes: When it comes to the strawberries and sugar; I usually buy Smiths frozen Private Selection Sliced Strawberries with Sugar (24oz) and then I add half a cup more. I also buy Smiths frozen Private Selection Crimson Rhubarb (16oz) and then chop it in a food processor.
Pie Pan, Food Processor, Knife, Cutting Board, Large Mixing Bowl, Butter Knife, Mixing Spoon, Measuring Cups, Measuring Spoons, Lemon Zester
- 3 ¾ c. sugar
- ½ c. flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 sticks of butter, melted
- 2 deep dish pie shells
Preheat oven to 350°. In large bowl, mix first six ingredients together thoroughly. Pour in melted butter
and swirl lightly with a spoon. Pour mixture evenly into pie shells and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour or
until golden brown and filling is set.
TACO PIE (potato or crescent roll crust)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lay crescent dough flat on the bottom of a square cake pan and bake according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the taco seasoning and stir together well.
- When dough is done, remove from oven and place meat mixture on top, then layer with sour cream and cheese, and then top off with the crushed nacho chips.
- Return to oven and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup milk
1 package Taco Bell seasoning mix
2 1/2 cups mashed potato flakes (you could also use left over mashed potatoes and omit the butter and milk)
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add milk and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Remove from heat and add potato flakes until incorporated. Press mixture into the bottom of a 10-inch pan.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until it just BARELY turns golden brown.
- In a medium skillet, cook beef and onions until beef is browned and cooked through. Drain. Add Salsa and remaining taco seasoning. Cook until bubbly.
- Pour into crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Top with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Cut and serve with sour cream if you are one of those who like spoiled cream.
- 1 Cup- margarine or butter, softened
- ¾ Cup- granulated sugar
- ¾ Cup- packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ – Cups all- purpose flour
- 1 tsp- baking soda
- ½ tsp- salt
- 1 Cup- coarsely chopped nuts
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 375*. Mix margarine, sugars and egg thoroughly. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until light brown, 8 to 10 minutes. (Centers will be soft) Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. About 6 dozen cookies.
Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies: Decrease flour to 2 cups. About 5 dozen cookies.
Chocolate Chip Bars: Press dough evenly in ungreased rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes; cool. Cut into bars, about 3×1½ inches. 24 bars.
Jumbo chocolate cookie drops: Drop dough by ¼ cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are set, 12 to 15 minutes. About 1½ dozen cookies.
- Whole chicken – 5lbs.
- Paprika – 1 tbsp.
- Steak seasoning – 3 tbsp.
- Salt and pepper – to taste
1. Cook chicken on high for 4 to 4 ½ hours depending on the size of the chicken and the strength of your slow cooker.
2. Times will vary, so use a food thermometer to ensure the chicken has reached 165 degrees.
3. Let your chicken rest on a cutting board for about 20 minutes before carving.
By Ruth Franks
- Zucchini (green and /or yellow) or squash
- Corn (fresh, can or frozen)
- Onion (white or yellow)
- Green chili
- Asparagus (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Other seasoning (optional) Garlic, Season all, Adobo, Johnny salt etc.
In a skillet, heat up Olive oil, wash and cut up zucchini/squash.
Start frying it as the rest of the ingredients are being cut up. Next add in corn, green chili, onion and asparagus.
By Brenda Gallegos
recipe by Randy Crow
1 uncooked pie crust
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup dark Karo syrup
1 cup pecans (broken up)
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
…Spray crock pot with non stick spray (or use crock pot liner) Place uncooked pie crust in crock pot,
press up edges 1/2″ deep up sides. Mix remaining ingredients & pour in crust. Cover and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high.
½ cup of sugar
2 cups of pecans
¼ cup of orange juice
When that comes to a boil put in 2 cups of pecans. Cook until its hard to stir or the liquid is gone. Be careful not to burn them.
Place on a sheet of waxed paper and try to separate. Let them cool and enjoy!
Recipe shared by Ester Ancira
Recipe by Melissa and Melanie Watkins
FROZEN HASH BROWNS
1-STICK= (1/2 CUP) MELTED
PHILLY CREAM CHEESE
1 SMALL CONTAINER
CREAM OF CHICKEN
1/2 TO ¾ OF CAN NEEDED
PUT ABOUT ½ THE BAG IN MIX
CHOPPED AND GARLICED
SALT & PEPPER TO YOUR LIKING
MIX ALL TOGETHER IN A DEEP CASSEROLE DISH
BAKE AT 350* FOR 2 HOURS
ADD REMAINING CHEESE ON TOP AND MELT
PRETZEL OREO COOKIE BALLS
- 1 CUP PRETZELS
- 30 OREO COOKIES
- 1 PACKAGE (8 OUNCES) 1/3 LESS FAT CREAM CHEESE, SOFTENED
- 8 OUNCES SWEMI-SWEET BAKING CHOCOLATE
- LINE COOKIE SHEET(S) WITH WAXED PAPER AND SET ASIDE.
- PUT PRETZELS IN A FOOD PROCESSOR AND PULSE UNTIL CRUMBS. POUR IN A BOWL AND SET ASIDE.
- PUT COOKIES IN FOOD PROCESSOR AND PULSE UNTIL THE BECOME FINE CRUMBS. ADD SOFTENED CREAM CHEESE AND 3/4 CUP PRETZEL CRUMBS AND PROCESS UNTIL WELL BLENDED. (NOTE: MIXTURE WILL BE THICK).
- SHAPE INTO 48 (1-INCH) BALLS AND FREEZE FOR 10 MINUTES ( OR OVERNIGHT).
- IN A DOUBLE BOILER OVER MEDIUM-LOW HEAT, MELT CHOCOLATE. uSING TWO FORKS, DIP CHILLED BALLS IN MELTED CHOCOLATE, ROLLING THEM AROUND A BIT TO GET COVERED. pLACE ON PREPARED COOKIE SHEET(S) IN A SINGLE LAYER. SPRINKLE WITH REMAINING 1/4 CUP PRETZEL CRUMBS FOR DECORATION.
- REFRIGERATE FOR 1 HOUR OR UNTIL FIRM.
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 5 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pound lard
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/3 cups Brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon Anise seed
- 1 – Stick Butter (1/2 cup) & melt
- 36 – Marshmallows (not the minis) & mix in with butter
- 1 tsp Green food coloring
- 4- Cups Corn Flakes
Work fast & put on wax paper, add cinnamon dots (red hots) while still warm.
By Louella Vigil
Taos, New Mexico
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Cup All-Purpose flour
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Cups Old Fashioned Oats (uncooked)
- 1 (12 oz) Pkg. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 ½ C. Chopped Nuts
Preheat oven to 375*. In large mixing bowl, beat shortening, sugars, and eggs until light and fluffy. Add all remaining ingredients except chocolate chips and nut’s, mix well. Stir in chips and nuts. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto, ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes. About 4 dozen cookies.
By Yvonne Lucero
(Makes about 3 ½ dozen cookies)
Recipe by Becky Franks:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/ ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Hershey’s cocoa
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup (10oz pkg.) Hershey’s Mini Kisses* Semi-sweet chocolates
- ½ cup of nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 350*
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until well blended.
- Stir in Mini Kisses* chocolates and nuts, if desired. Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set. Cool slightly, remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely.
- 4 – pork chops
- Salt & pepper (to your desire)
- 1-clove garlic (chopped)
- Cooking oil
- 4- potatos (sliced)
- 1-large onion (chopped)
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Dry mustard
- 1 – can mushroom soup
- ½ can milk or water
Roll porkchops in some flour and brown in hot oil with chopped garlic, salt & pepper. Spray pam in a baking dish and place sliced potatoes in the dish. Top with browned porkchops, place onion over porkchops. Blend sourcream, dry mustard, salt, cream of mushroom soup, and milk or water. Pour mixture over porkchops/potatos, & onions.
Bake for 1 ½ hours @ 350*
Rhonda’s Pork Chops and Gravy
- 4 boneless pork chops (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can 10 3/4oz. can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 5oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup fo water
Recipe by Dave Anderson
- 6-8 chicken breasts (boiled then chopped)
- 3 small cans of cream of chicken
- 3 small cans cream of celery
- 3 cans chicken broth minimum (or more to your liking)
- 1-2 pkgs. of cream cheese (for creamyness)
- minced garlic in jar or about 2 cloves
- chopped green chile (bueno)
- chopped onion
- add salt and pepper to your liking
Boil chicken breasts then chop. Combine onion and celery and boil in water until soft then drain. Add green chile to drained onion and celery. Mix together. In a large crock pot combine all soups, chicken broth, garlic and cream cheese. Add the onion, celery and green chile to soups. Add in chicken and stir. Heat in the crock pot or stove top until its all melted together.
Cook all day on low or until its all melted together and enjoy!
Recipe by Brenda Gallegos
- 8oz. Cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups of sifted confectioners/powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Milk
- ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese with butter until evenly mixed. Add confectioners sugar and beat until smooth. Add milk
and vanilla. Beat until evenly mixed. Refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes).
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Generous pinches of ground cloves
- and allspice.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices together in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs
with brown sugar, milk, butter, molasses and vanilla. Gradually whisk in flour mixture. Spoon into liners.
Bake in center of preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 20-25 minutes.
Using a palette knife, spread icing over each cupcake.
- 1-1 1/2 lb. of hamburger meat
- 1-Large can of tomato sauce
- 2-cans of chili beans (rinse cans with a little water)
- 1-onion (chopped)
garlic, hot chili powder, pepper and salt. (Hot chili powder is red pepper flakes.)
Add these ingredients to your liking.
Brown ground beef then add tomato sauce, chili beans, onion, garlic powder and Hot chili powder, salt and pepper.
Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes and enjoy
Raspberry Shortbread Thumbprints Cookies
- 2/3 Cups Sugar
- 1 Cup Butter
- ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Cups Flour
- ½ Cup Raspberry Jam (seedless)
- 1 Cup Powder Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Almond Extract
- 2-3 tsp Water
Preheat oven to: 350
Combine sugar, butter, and almond extract, beat until creamy. Add flour and mix well. Form into 1 inch balls. Make thumb indentions in the center. Fill space with ¼ tsp raspberry jam. Bake 14-18 minutes. Let cookies set 1 minute before removing from cokkie sheet to cooling rack.
Make glaze to medium consistency. Using a pastry bag w/ a small hole decorating tip, drizzle back and for the over top of cookies.
Approx. 45 cookies per recipe.
Can use a small ziplock bag with a tiny whole cut in the corner.
- two (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes $1.84
- 1 medium onion $0.23
- 4 cloves garlic $0.24
- 3 Tbsp olive oil $0.32
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste $0.58
- 1 Tbsp dried basil $0.15
- ½ Tbsp dried oregano $0.10
- 2 medium bay leaves $0.10
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar $0.03
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar $0.20
- Finely dice the onion and garlic. Cook in a large pot with 3 Tbsp of olive oil until very soft and slightly golden brown. I wanted to make a sweeter sauce which is why I let the onions and garlic caramelize a bit. If you don’t like sweet sauces, proceed to the next step before they get any color on them.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, bay leaves, brown sugar and balsamic vinegar) to the pot. Simmer on medium/low for one hour. Be careful of the splattering sauce! Leave a lid on the pot but slightly ajar to allow steam to escape but keep flying blobs of sauce from landing on your counter top.
- Taste the sauce after a half hour or so and adjust spices and seasoning to your liking. The proportions listed above yield a slightly sweet and tangy sauce. If you like savory sauces, leave out the balsamic vinegar and reduce the sugar to 1 tsp. Some sugar is usually needed to balance the high acidity of the tomatoes.
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles $1.69
- 15 oz. ricotta $2.09
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella $1.18
- ¼ cup grated parmesan $0.24
- 1 lg. egg $0.16
- 10 oz. frozen spinach $1.09
- 2½ cups marinara sauce $1.09
- to taste salt and pepper $0.05
- as needed non-stick spray $0.05
- Get a large pot of water boiling with a dash of salt. When it comes to a full boil, add the lasagna noodles and cook until al dente (soft but not soggy… about 12-15 minutes). When they are finished cooking, drain in a colander.
- While the noodles are boiling, prepare the filling. Thaw the package of frozen spinach in the microwave and then squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible. Combine the spinach in a bowl with the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, egg, freshly grated pepper and about ¼ tsp of salt. Mix until well combined.
- When the noodles and filling are ready to go, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a glass casserole dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
- On a clean surface, lay out a few noodles at a time. Place a few tablespoons of filling on each noodle and spread to cover from edge to edge. The filling does not need to be thick because once the noodle is rolled up, it will be compounded. Make sure to spread it all the way to the edges of the noodles.
- Roll the noodles up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat until all of your filling is gone (there may be some noodles left over, these are “back ups” in case any of the others rip during assembly). Pour the marinara sauce over the rolled noodles making sure to cover all surfaces. The sauce will keep the noodles hydrated and soft while baking.
- Cover the dish in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot or divide into individual portions and refrigerate.
Crescent Sausage Bites:
- 1lb. hot sausage (pork or turkey)
- (8oz.) package of cream cheese
- 2 packages of crescent rolls
- dash of salt & ground pepper
- In a saute pan brown sausage; drain. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Blend in cream cheese until the cream cheese is melted.
- Unroll the package of crescent rolls and place on a baking sheet. With your fingers, gently press the seems together to seal them.
- Spread the sausage mixture evenly over the crescent roll dough, leaving about a ½ inch border along the edges.
- Unroll the remaining package of crescent rolls and place on top of of the sausage mixture. Press the edges together to seal. Gently press the seam together.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until crescent roll dough id golden brown.
- Cut into small squares and serve. ( A pizza cutter makes really quick and easy work of the cutting.)
This is a great snack for football games since men love meat! Serve this as a side with soup or any day as a simple snack.
Simply Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Sent in by Brenda Gallegos
YIELD: 8 servings | PREP TIME: min | COOK TIME: min
|1||lb chicken breast, diced|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|1||tablespoon vegetable oil|
|8||8-inch flour tortillas, softened|
|1½||cups grated monterey jack cheese or 1½ cups Mexican blend cheese, divided|
|1||(15 ounce) can chicken broth|
|1||cup sour cream|
|1||(4 ounce) can chopped green chilies|
In frypan, cook chicken and onion together in oil over medium-high heat until chicken is just done. Divide cooked chicken evenly between 8 tortillas; add 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese to each tortilla. Roll enchiladas and place seam-side down in 9×13″ baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour to make a roux; stir and cook until bubbly; gradually whisk in chicken broth then bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and green chiles; pour sauce evenly over enchiladas. Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese (baking dish may be double-wrapped and frozen at this point) and bake at 400° for 20 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce near edges of baking dish is bubbly.
Nora M. Gallegos
Pre-heat oven to 350
The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Book of Desserts - Book by Ellen Levine
TERIYAKI PORK AND ASIAN RICE SALAD
Ingredients for Pork
2- 1½ to 2-inch thick boneless pork cutlets
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1-1/3 cups Panko bread crumbs
Canola oil about ¼ cup or enough to cover bottom of pan
1. Trim off any fat and cut each cutlet in half lengthwise.
2. Pound to ¼ inch thick.
3. In one bowl mix egg with teriyaki sauce and add pork to marinate 15 to 30 minutes.
4. Place Panko in another bowl.
5. Dredge pork in Panko.
6. In large skillet heat oil on medium-high, add pork and cook 3-4 minutes, turn and cook 2 minutes more.
ASIAN RICE SALAD
Rice and Veggie Ingredients
4 cups cooked rice, cooled
1 carrot, grated
1- 8 ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 green onions, chopped
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/ 4 cup canola oil
1. Mix rice and veggie ingredients together in large bowl.
2. In small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients except canola oil.
3. Whisk in oil slowly to emulsify.
4. Pour over rice and veggies, and serve with pork.
PAN-FRIED TILAPIA WITH HOME -MADE TARTAR SAUCE AND SLAW
4- Tilapia fillets, 4-5 ounces each
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 egg plus 2 tablespoons water
¾ sleeve saltine crackers
Fresh sliced lemon for serving
Tartar sauce ingredients
½ cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sweet relish
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
~Mix together and serve with fish
½ head green cabbage, shredded
1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
~Mix with dressing below
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup mayonnaise
1. Pat fish dry with paper towels.
2. Sprinkle with Creole seasoning.
3. In three separate bowls place cornstarch in the first, egg beaten with water in second, and crushed crackers in third.
4. Dip fish on both sides in cornstarch, next egg, then crushed crackers.
5. Lay on rack to set.
6. Heat a thin layer of canola oil in cast iron skillet until it shimmers.
7. Lay each piece of fish in skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
8. Place on paper towels. Serve with slaw and tartar sauce and lemon.
- 8 sugar cones
1 package frozen puff pastry~2 sheets
Egg wash~1 egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water Coarse sugar
1 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup marshmallow créme Pinch salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pastel colored sugars
1. Cut off a piece of tin foil about 10 inches. Cut in half.
2. Wrap tin foil around ice creame cone.
3. Thaw frozen pastry for 30 minutes at room temperature.
4. Unfold and cut into thirds from one of the short sides. just cut along from where using the pastry or pizza cutter.
5. Cut each section into 4 strips for a total of 12 strips.
6. Starting at point of cone, wrap pone strip around, overlapping as you go. Add another strip starting at the point you left off and continue around cone. Add one more strip, for a total of 3 strips for each cone
7. Do the same thing for the remaing 7 horns. Lay on parchment covered baking sheet.
8. Brush each horn with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
9. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Place on rack and let cool. Gently remove cone.
1. Mix shortening, powdered sugar, marshmallow, pinch of salt, and vanilla in mixer bowl beat at high speed for 10 minutes.
2. Spoon filling into pastry bag with large star tip and pipe into cooled horns.
3.. Sprinkle on colored sugar if desired.
By Debra Dooley
ASPARAGUS AND TOMATO PASTA SALAD
- 12 ounce box Tri-color Rotini Pasta
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- ½ each yellow and orange bell peppers
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring large pot of water to boil.
2. Add pasta and cook 5 minutes
3. Rinse pasta and asparagus
with cold water; set aside.
4. Whisk together garlic, oregano,
mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper.
5. Slowly whisk in oil to emulsify.
6. In large bowl, place pasta mixture,
bell peppers, tomatoes and cheese.
7. Add oil mixture and toss gently.
8. Top with Parmesan cheese and
9. Cover and refrigerate at least
10. Serve with fresh ground pepper.
BLACK TOPS – from my Grandmother (Updated for “heart healthy”)
1 cup butter (2 sticks) 1 cup flour (whole wheat for heart healthy)
½ cup white sugar 1 cup “old fashioned” oats (quick oats OK)
½ cup brown sugar (dark preferred)
½ tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla (or more to taste)
1 pkg (12 oz) chocolate chips (dark chocolate for heart healthy)
Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, salt, and vanilla. Mix in flour and oats. Spread on greased (olive oil spray for heart healthy) 9 x 13 rectangular pan. Bake 30 min at 350° (for glass: try 22-25 min’s @350° or 30 min’s @325°). When done, take pan out of oven, and pour chocolate chips on top immediately. As they melt, spread evenly. For heart healthy: add nuts. It takes a long time to set the chocolate. Overnight will do it, or place in fridge until it sets. Cut with sharp knife to avoid breaking, or cut right before set.
George Pitts - email@example.com